Building Licence – Licencia Obras Menores / Obras Mayores

If you are improving the value of a legal and registered property the local authority will require you to pay to them certain taxes for the privilege of upgrading your home; so changing the kitchen or bathroom which you may consider as an insignificant issue will attract the attention of the local ayuntamiento.

To ensure that you do not fall foul of local planning laws you should always ask before you start any work on your property. Spanish Planning Permission can assist you with all your Spanish planning issues – Mail us for assistance.


You will probably be asked to submit a project – with the appropriate fees and taxes to the town hall – small jobs may only require a licencia obras menores – small works licence, but construction of an extension, terrace or new building etc will require a full building licence –licencia obras mayores.

You should never start any construction work until you have the required paperwork stamped by the competent authority because if you do you run the risk of being denunciado – reported to the relevant authority – being fined, having the work stopped, possibly being refused the permission which may have normally been granted and having the work that you have carried out demolished – at your expense.

All projects are to be presented to the competent authority in the manner that they prescribe, small works in general requires you to declare the nature of the work, the construction company that you intend to use, an invoice detailing the cost of the required works – you are taxed on a percentage of this value.

For major works a detailed project completed by a registered architect will be required, this project will include all the paperwork expected by the competent local authority to include costings – upon which you will be taxed.

Contact Spanish Planning Permission