Property Issues in Spain


With its reputation as one of the 10 top destinations in the World in which to live and work, Spain offers many opportunities – N5 Group - Immobilière Mottram assists in all aspects of legally easing yourself into the Spanish employment and social systems.

There are two distinct types of immigration regulations for foreigners entering Spain;
Regulations that apply to EU citizens:
Foreign nationals from other EU Member States, the European Economic Area or Switzerland and subject to the European Community regime, do not need to obtain an employee or self-employed work authorization, and have the same labour rights as Spanish citizens.


These citizens can live in Spain for a period of up to three months – along with certain members of their family without the requirement of a residence card, as long as they possess a valid identity card or passport. To reside in Spain for more than 3 months EU citizens must apply for a EU Citizen Certificate. Relatives of EU citizens that are not nationals of EU Countries still have to apply for EU citizens’ family card.

General immigration regulations apply to other cases:
Foreigners not qualifying for the European Community regime require authorization to live and work in Spain, as well as a special work visa. It is beneficial to contact the Spanish Embassy in your own country to clarify the conditions applicable to your situation PRIOR to entering Spain

One of the first requirements in Spain is to obtain your NIE – (Numero Indentidad Extranjero – a foreigners tax ID number) a document which will have your unique reference number on it and is required for even the most basic aspects of living in Spain, such as leasing or purchasing a property, obtaining a water or electricity supply etc. To do this you need to attend in person the local Oficina de Extranjeros – Foreigners office or to the local police department in the area where you intend to live – Comisaría General de Extranjería y Documentación de la Policía, having completed the appropriate application form and provided copies of your passport and/or entry Visa etc. Alternatively your NIE application can be made at the Spanish Consulate / Spanish Embassy in your home country, or you can grant a power of attorney (poder) to a third party to deal with this issue for you.

NIE application can be found here (in Spanish). & Tax payment document here. – It can take up to 60 days to receive this document, although in general it is delivered in under 30 days.


Contact our team for all your legal requirements in Spain - Contact us